Departure from the USA:
Our groups generally depart from airports in the Washington, DC metro area. Although airfare is not included, it is possible to organize a group departure from the same airport, otherwise travelers are welcome to join the group once in Sicily.
Day 1: Arrival at Catania Airport* or directly in Taormina.
*Flights will be booked for Catania for the group, but our travelers are welcomes to join us directly at the hotel. As preferred!
- Check into the hotel in Taormina.
- Walk through Taormina and enjoy the beautiful town as well as visit the Greek amphitheater.
- Light dinner in a family restaurant.
Day 2: Piazza Armerina, Caltagirone, night in Eremo.
- Check out from hotel in Taormina and head off to Piazza Armerina.
- Visit Villa del Casale in Piazza Armerina, a Roman villa built in the first quarter of the 4th century, containing the richest, largest and most complex collection of Roman mosaics in the world.
- Afternoon walk through the streets of Caltagirone and their beautiful ceramics.
- Hotel check in: Eremo della Giubiliana.
Day 3: Syracuse, night in Eremo.
- Couch bus ride with a guided tour of Syracuse: a memorable city with its modern everyday life and explore its unforgettable Greek archaeological area.
- Early afternoon visit of Ortigia: Syracuse’s historical centre, and its breathtaking Mediterranean view.
- Relax with a fantastic late lunch in a local restaurant.
Day 4: Noto, wine tasting, Ragusa Ibla and Modica.
- Morning stroll in Noto: a masterpiece of Sicilian Baroque architecture. The city, rebuilt after an earthquake, was planned on a grid system. The structures are characterized by a soft tufa stone, which under sunlight, assumes a unique honey color.
- Wine tasting: a tasting of local wines accompanied by local specialties.
- Visit the winery which produces a wine fully fermented and aged in the ancient tradition.
- Late afternoon visit of Ragusa Ibla, with its medieval lanes, churches and palaces that are among the most beautiful late-Baroque buildings in the world.
Day 5: Agrigento, oil tasting. Night in Palermo.
- Depart for Agrigento for a guided visit of the Valley of the Temples, the largest area of Greek structures outside Greece and also listed as a World Heritage Site. The numerous temples erected in the fifth century BC were not built in a valley but along the crest of a mountain. Oil tasting.
- Check-in to the hotel in Palermo.
- Dinner in an excellent restaurant in the historic center.
Day 6: Palermo, Monreale, Night in Palermo.
- Morning dedicated to a guided tour of Palermo: The Norman Palace and its breathtaking Cappella Palatina, the Palermo Cathedral, Piazza Pretoria, and Quattro Canti.
- Afternoon visit of the Capuchin Catacombs on the way to Monreale.
- Guided visit of the Monreale cathedral and its cloister, a pearl of Arab Norman art. Bible stories are represented with unique mosaic work on the walls and ceiling of the cathedral. Return to hotel.
- Evening free to explore city life and restaurants.
Day 7: Erice, Salt Mines, Segesta, night in Palermo.
- Morning in Mount Erice. This mountain top city was once dedicated to the goddess of Love, Venus. Some claim that it was Aeneas who found it during his escape from Carthage; while to others it dates back to Phoenician times. Today it is a lovely medieval town.
- Lunch in a special place overlooking the salt mines and completely surrounded by the glittering pools of the ancient salt pans built by the Arabs.
- Visit the temple and theater at Segesta. This temple is a perfect example of the Doric school and will offer you an impressive and unique perspective of a timeless treasure. Return to hotel.
- Evening free to explore the city life and restaurants.
Day 8: Cefalu`, Palermo.
- Visit Cefalu`, a picturesque seaside town and its beautiful cathedral built by the Norman King Ruggero.
- Afternoon walk in Mondello, the Palermo seaside neighborhood.
Day 9: Departure for USA.
- Check out from hotel and transfer to airport.
***It is possible to extend the trip for one night. Below is the alternate option for days 9 and 10***
Day 9: Palermo.
- Enjoy the morning strolling through the old Palermo open
- Walk through the elegant residential shops. Explore the city at
Day 10: Departure for USA.
- Check out from hotel and transfer to airport.
| All rights reserved italianinsights.com | Contact us | Tel and Fax 703 938 0822 |
9 or 10 Day Tour of Sicily
Italian Insights Tours
1724 Abbey Oak Drive Vienna, Virginia 22182
tel: + 01.703. 938.66.77
Fax + 01.703. 938.08.22 www.italianinsights.com
In cooperation with:
Piazza San F.sco di Paola, 23 Palermo - ITALY
Your tour price includes
- 4 overnights & breakfast in a 4* Superior Hotel – Palermo
- 1 overnight & breakfast in a 4* Hotel in Taormina
- 3 overnights & breakfast 5* in Ragusa
- 1 dinner in Taormina 1 dinner in Ragusa
- 1 lunch in Ortigia 1 dinner in Modica
- 1 dinner in Palermo 1 lunch near the salt mines
- 1 oil tasting Private first class air-conditioned bus for the whole program
- Travel Director English speaking licensed
- Local Guides in Syracuse, Agrigento, Palermo.
- Visits and excursions as per program
- Entrance Fees: archaeological area Siracusa; Villa del Casale; Valley of the Temples;Norman Palace; Monreale Cloister, Catacombe Cappuccini; Segesta Theatre and Temple; Erice.
- Quote to be reconfirmed at the time of final booking and deposit to be given as confirmation.
- There may be a supplemental cost if you would like to have a room as a single person.
- Minimum number of participants is 12 people and maximum is 18.
- This trip involves walking up hills, stairs, and walking on uneven streets.
- You should be in good physical condition to fully enjoy the tour.
Contact us for pricing (airfare not included)
Your tour price does not include
- Meals and drinks not specified
- Gratuities and tips for local guides, dining room servers, airport and room porters and bus drivers
- Everything not mentioned as included